Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Some Horror Game Mechanics I've Experienced

As I mentioned in my previous article, I have a rather limited experience in role playing games focused on the horror genre. I’ve also come to the conclusion that player “buy in” is a critical element in having a successful experience in horror games. This time I want to look at some of the rules or mechanical aspects that I’ve encountered in those experiences that were used to try and help set the right tone for the game.

Most of my experiences as a player came using Call of Cthulhu, which is based on the Basic Role Playing system. In that system they have an attribute called Sanity or SAN for short. Witnessing traumatic events or supernatural phenomenon can cause a player to make a “SAN loss” die roll to see if their character takes psychological/emotional damage due to the triggering occurrence. This kind of makes sense on paper. I should say that my only experience with the SAN rules in Cthulhu are as a player. Whether or not my game master got the rules right or wrong is unknown to me. I can only comment on how it worked from my side of the screen as a player.

In practice, when one of our characters would have to make a SAN loss roll, it was more of an “all or nothing” proposition. You either stayed sane and continued to function normally or you flipped out and either fled in terror or you snapped enough to become a threat to yourself and others. In either case, you pretty much lost control of your character for the duration of the game session at a minimum. The character in question would become an NPC.  If you were really lucky, your character would make a full recovery. If not, it would be time to make a new character. In the end, I think most of us found the SAN loss rules more of an annoyance than finding them to be terrifying. It didn’t really seem to add much to the game beyond player frustration when SAN rolls were failed.


The Dungeons & Dragons Ravenloft campaign that I attempted to run had rules for Dark Gifts (Note: A friend reminds me this is actually called a Powers Check). A player could choose actions that would grant him gifts or favors from the dark powers that oversee the Demi-plane of Dread. These gifts would grow in power over the course of time. There were always consequences for these gifts and the consequences would also grow over time. At some point, there was a chance that the character would become so infused with these Dark Gifts they would become a dark lord of their own Ravenloft domain. Power had a price and the dark powers always get what’s due.

In practice, it was darn near impossible to get any of the players to allow their characters to start down the path of the Dark Gifts. What sounded ominous and horrifying on paper didn’t translate that well into actual gameplay in large part due to the traditional D&D mindsets so dominant in my groups. The D&D mindset consists largely of Find, Kill, Loot and (in our group at least) make sure to distrust/avoid anything the dungeon master does to try and engage you in plots or subplots. It’s not really the fault of the rule mechanics for Dark Gifts that they didn’t actually come into play. The rules were sound. Getting any of the players to “go for it” on the other hand seemed like a non-starter.

The Alien Role Playing Game has rules that cover stress and panic. Stress builds up over the course of an adventure. The adrenaline rush that stress gives to a player’s character can actually be beneficial in overcoming challenges. The risk is that every player character has a breaking point. Some stress is good. Too much stress and a character can break. And when a character breaks they can flee or freeze or worse. I’m very intrigued by this set of rules as stress comes about via both “in game” events or when a player “pushes” an ability test for success. That’s right, some of the stress is going to happen to anyone but part of the stress is going to be self-inflicted. It looks great on paper to me. Hopefully it will play out as well at the table and help add to the immersion of a horror RPG experience. Time will tell.

Have any of you experienced any rules mechanics that successfully enhanced a game’s immersion level or overall atmosphere for the particular genre you were using? Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good mechanic (in Alien). You want something tempting and useful, if the player's going to actually use it... not just avoid it because the drawbacks overwhelm the advantages.

    I never played much Call of Cthulhu, but it seemed that a big issue was the one you highlighted -- it was just a second hit point like track. Stay above zero and you're fine, run out and you're out of the game for some long time. I suspect that part of the problem was that we always played everything as if it was going to be a forever campaign -- but the mythos shines in short stories.

    I suspect that part of the issue with a system like Ravenloft is that I'm a point hoarder but risk adverse. It's similarly hard to get me to take a short term boost in Shadowrun -- I'd rather have the XP for permanent increases to rolls, not burn it for a better success. That said, with a clear pitch I can "buy in" to very different behavior... but I really should have that impulsiveness in mind when I'm creating the character, so I'm not fighting it all through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's ultimately what made the Ravenloft power check underwhelming. Most players with D&D experience are going to be conservative on resources and adverse to taking extra risk. It's only natural given experiences at the table. It would also be heavy handed GMing to force the issue upon a player directly. That's something I would certainly be unhappy about were I playing. So while the mechanics and boosts/drawbacks were well designed, it was a non-starter for most people (understandably so). Thank you for the comment!

      Delete